The employer of choice for bankers—guess who?
(CNBC.COM) U.S. investment bank Goldman Sachs is the employer of choice for those working in the financial services sector globally, a new survey shows.
JPMorgan was ranked second followed by asset manager Blackrock according to the survey published on Tuesday by careers website eFinancialCareers.
According to the report, the most common reason for picking Goldman was perceived career prospects, followed by company reputation.
The survey polled almost 8,800 professionals in the financial sector globally between April and May in countries including the U.S., the U.K., Singapore, Australia, France and Germany.
“Financial services professionals are regularly exposed to employer branding in a multitude of forms,” said George McFerran, global sales and marketing director at eFinancial Careers.
“Our research suggests employers that are able to project corporate stability and history as well as career development prospects will best appeal to financial services professionals. As a result they will be in a much stronger position to attract top talent,” he added.
The world’s biggest banks have in general have had a tougher time competing for talent amid tighter regulation in the wake of the global financial crisis and the growing appeal of other industries such as technology.
According to the report by eFinancial Careers, Goldman and JP Morgan are among the few investment banks that have not reduced their staff numbers significantly in recent years and kept their compensation structure weighted towards cash and away from deferred stock options unlike European peers.
Among other banks on the top ten list HSBC was ranked fourth, followed by BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, McKinsey, UBS, Barclays and Citigroup.
The report highlighted some areas of concern for the financial industry in terms of hiring and retaining staff.
Of those surveyed globally, just 11 percent of respondents said they are not looking for a new position, while the remaining 89 percent said they were either actively searching for a new job or were open to new opportunities.
“Finance professionals are poised to take flight – a reality employers cannot afford to ignore,” eFinancial Careers said.
In terms of geographical breakdown, the survey showed 34 percent of finance industry professionals in London and 36 percent in Hong Kong were actively looking for new jobs.
That number rose to 41 percent in Singapore, one of Asia’s main financial hubs, 43 percent in New York and 53 percent in the Middle East.